Richmond Community Hospital
1500 N. 28th Street
Richmond, Virginia 23223
About Richmond Community Hospital
Richmond Community Hospital is located in the Church Hill area of downtown Richmond. It was opened in 1903 on the campus of Virginia Union University by the first African American, and the first woman, to be certified to practice medicine by the Virginia State Board of Medicine, Dr. Sarah Garland Jones, and her husband, Dr. Miles Berkley Jones.
As a not-for-profit hospital serving Richmond and the surrounding communities, Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital relies on volunteers to provide a wide range of services. Volunteering provides a unique experience filled with fellowship, camaraderie and the satisfaction of providing "good help to those in need."
Volunteering for your local hospital can provide a sense of connection to the community. We encourage anyone interested in volunteering who is 15 or older to apply. Weekend and evening hours are available with no minimal monthly commitment required.
Our needs may change from time to time. Right now we are looking to fill the following positions.
- General Services: providing assistance as needed to the departments, nursing stations and labs, and delivering flowers, mail and equipment.
- Hospitality Ambassador: visit briefly with all patients to ensure their comforts are being met such as lighting, temperature, snacks and reading materials.
- Information Desk: duties include greeting hospital visitors, assisting with locating patients for family members and helping manage patient flow in Outpatient Waiting Area.
How to Become a Volunteer
We are excited about your interest in volunteering and hope to make the process as simple as possible.
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Bon Secours Richmond completes the reference check.
- The volunteer completes TB testing and obtains an ID badge while Bon Secours Richmond conducts a background check.
- The volunteer receives staff training and a schedule.
For any questions or for additional information please contact Judith Lind at (804) 545-3239 or Judith_Lind@bshsi.org.
- Must be 15 or older to volunteer.
- Weekend and evening hours available.
- No minimum monthly requirement.