Bon Secours Cancer Institute
Cancer Answers Series
Dr. Julie Padgett discusses the most common signs and symptoms of skin cancer.
Dr. Sherry Fox discusses the signs and symptoms of brain tumors.
Dr. Abhishek discusses signs and symptoms of colorectal cancer.
Colon Cancer is the third most common cancer in the United States and the third leading cause of cancer death in the United States.
Did you know… Colorectal cancer is the 3rd most commonly cancer in the US Colorectal Cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in the US 1 in 18 men will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer 1 in 20 women will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer
Screening, Warning Signs & Prevention
- Screening is recommended at age 50 for adults at average risk. While screening rates continue to rise in the U.S….
- 22 million people are still not up-to-date with colorectal cancer screening
- Colonoscopy is the gold standard of colorectal cancer screening
- Colorectal cancer has a the highest survival rate if it is caught early
- In Virginia, 40 percent of colorectal cancer is diagnosed in the earliest stage
There are no early warning signs/symptoms of colorectal cancer…
You can prevent colon cancer by:
- being physically active
- maintaining a healthy weight
- eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- limiting red and processed meats
- limiting alcohol consumption
- not smoking
News & Events
Upcoming Cancer Events:
Cancer Survivors Day at Richmond Community Hospital - more info
Cancer Survivors Day at St. Francis - more info
Bon Secours in the News:
Click on the thumbnails below to watch WRIC 8 News reporter Nate Eaton in his two part series covering the BRCA gene, breast cancer and his experience with the Bon Secours Virginia Breast Center. Videos are courtesy of WRIC 8 News.
Bon Secours Cancer Institute featured on Channel 8 News - read more