What is the Summer Nurse Externship Program?
Bon Secours Baltimore Health System offers selected nursing students the opportunity to gain clinical competence and ease the transition from student to professional through a special summer program.
During the Summer Nurse Externship Program, students are assigned to preceptors who are experienced Registered Nurses chosen for their excellence in practice.
Externs participate in a number of clinical experiences and attend special classes designed to enhance their practice. Externs are assigned to clinical areas that match their personal interests.
The Bon Secours Baltimore Health System Summer Nurse Externship program is an eight week summer program.
June 10 — August 2, 2019
Externs will be paid while in the program and are able to work with an assigned preceptor, following their preceptor’s work schedule. Externs are also expected to attend all required educational experiences. Additionally externs are offered an opportunity to continue working at Bon Secours after the summer program with a minimal 3 shifts per month (2 days with preceptor and 1 day performing CNA duties).
The application deadline is March 22, 2019 and notification of acceptance will be made by May 1, 2019.
The Summer Nurse Externship Program is very selective as there will likely be more applicants than available positions.
What clinical areas have been offered?
- Combined Medical Surgical / Telemetry Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Emergency Department
- Behavioral Health
- Peri-operative Services (OR, PACU Same Day Surgery)
What type of experiences can I expect?
Externs will have a variety of experiences that will enhance their learning in nursing. These experiences may include the opportunity follow a patient through the continuum of care such as from a medical/surgical unit to the operating room, and then to post-anesthesia care. Externs will also have the opportunity to enhance their clinical skills under the direction of their preceptor. Clinical experiences also emphasize time management and priority setting skills. Special classroom opportunities are also incorporated in the extern experience.
To qualify for the Summer Nurse Externship Program, students must:
- Be actively enrolled as a senior nursing student in an accredited nursing program; successful completion of 1 year of a Clinical Nursing Program including Fundamentals of Nursing (or the equivalent) with a minimal GPA of 3.0 and must maintain current BLS certification.
- Be able to commit to full-time hours during the 8 week summer extern program.
- Be able to commit to provide 3 shifts per month following the summer program throughout the remaining school year.
- Must obtain “Certified Nursing Assistant” certification by the Maryland Board of Nursing prior to start of Externship.
- Complete the Online Employment Application and Assessment.