If given the choice, nearly anyone would choose a minimally invasive option for surgery. With advances in technology and training for physicians, more procedures are now being performed with smaller incisions, less blood loss and less disturbance of surrounding tissues, resulting in diminished pain, faster recovery, and shorter hospital stays.
Center of Excellence
Now, women in the Upstate have another reason to choose minimally invasive gynecologic surgeries -- St. Francis Eastside has been designated as an AAGL Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG), by the Surgical Review Corporation.
This program recognizes surgeons and facilities that demonstrate ability to consistently deliver safe, effective, evidence-based care. The program is structured to help minimally invasive gynecologic surgery providers continuously improve care quality and patient safety.
COEMIG Designated Physicians
The following physicians have also received COEMIG designation.
- Brandi Alt, DO | Upstate OB/GYN Group
- Edward Heidtman, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Rebecca Keith, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Todd Lantz, MD | Upstate OB/GYN Group
- Ralph Lattimore, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Vanessa Mazzoli, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Harvey Sikes, MD | Carolina Women's Health
Gynecologic Conditions That Can Be Treated With Minimally Invasive Surgery
You may find relief from these conditions:
- Investigation and treatment of pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroids
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Treatment for some types of infertility
Some minimally invasive treatment options include:
- Minimally invasive hysterectomy
- Endometrial ablation
- Removal of ovarian cysts
If you have one of these conditions and are considering surgery, contact one of the COEMIG-designated OB-GYNs listed above, and ask to have your surgery at COEMIG-designated St. Francis Eastside.