Preliminary rendering of Bon Secours Harbour View Hospital
On June 1, 2018, the Bon Secours Health System notified the Commonwealth of Virginia of our intent to establish a hospital on the campus of Bon Secours Harbour View. As a health care ministry, our mission is to improve the overall health of our community. We believe that bringing inpatient care to Bon Secours Harbour View will help ensure that our ministry in Western Hampton Roads continues to be a vibrant one.
What We Are Proposing
- Bon Secours is proposing the transfer of up to 25 beds and up to four operating rooms from Bon Secours Maryview to Bon Secours Harbour View to establish a hospital.
- We remain committed to providing care to the greater Portsmouth community and will continue to operate a comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services on the Bon Secours Maryview campus.
Why We Are Doing This
- For the past 19 years, as the population in Western Hampton Roads has grown, we have brought more services to the Harbour View campus.
- Our patients have requested that we build a campus at Harbour View to meet their needs for more inpatient care.
- Filing a letter of intent is the first step in the request for a Certificate of Public Need (COPN) to build the hospital.
- Our completed application will be filed on July 2, 2018. At that time, we will have recommendations from our architect firm regarding the exact location on our campus and the estimated cost.
- We anticipate learning the health commissioner's decision late this year.
How You Can Help
This is exciting news for Bon Secours and we need your support in getting our COPN approved. Please support our cause by signing this online petition.
If you would like to write a letter of support for the new Bon Secours Harbour View Hospital, please reference our COPN project: COPN Req. No. VA-8389 Establish a New Hospital at Harbour View in Suffolk, VA. The letters can be sent to us via email or by mail:
Paul Gaden, CEO
Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center
3636 High Street
Portsmouth, VA 23707
Tips for writing a letter of support:
- Address the letter to Paul Gaden, CEO
- Introduce yourself and your role in the community
- Talk about your experience with Bon Secours and why you believe a hospital on Bon Secours Harbour View's campus is a benefit for the community
- Conclude your letter by stating that you support this project and you hope the State Health Commissioner approves Bon Secours Maryview's COPN request number VA-8689
- Sign and date your letter