As little as 20 years ago, liver symptoms were difficult to diagnose and effective treatments were few. Today, many liver disorders can be treated and some can even be cured. Various liver medications and other treatments can prevent liver disease from progressing to cirrhosis, prevent liver failure and prevent the need for liver transplantation. They can also result in greater control of disease, higher cure rates and fewer side effects. Treating liver disease has been shown to significantly improve the quality of life for patients and reduce mortality.
Dr. Mitchell Shiffman, liver specialist and expert on the treatment and care of liver diseases in Virginia, and his medical team have an extraordinary reputation for helping patients living with Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, fatty liver disease, liver cancer and primary biliary liver cirrhosis, as well as other diseases of the liver. In addition to these treatments,
Dr. Shiffman and his team offer additional liver health services including:
• Hepatitis vaccinations
• Pre-transplantation care and coordination
• Management of chronic liver disease and liver disease symptoms
Awards and Accreditations
Dr. Shiffman is repeatedly recognized every year by his peers and patients as one of the top liver specialists in the country.
His awards and distinctions include:
• Castle Connolly America’s Top Doctors®
• Compassionate Doctor Recognition
• Ranked in the top 1 percent of gastroenterologists in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.
• On-Time Doctor Award
• Patients’ Choice Award by Vitals