Chaplains provide spiritual care and sacramental ministry for residents and their families regardless of their faith group or life journey.
- Lay Eucharistic Services are held the first and second Monday of the month at 11 a.m. in the Chapel
- Mass is held the third and fourth Wednesdays at 11 a.m. in the Chapel
- Sacrament of Reconciliation as scheduled.
- Sacrament of the Sick as needed.
- For Holy Days of Obligation please consult the monthly activities calendar.
- Each Sunday at the Nansemond Unit Activity Area at 10:30 a.m. and at the Chesapeake Unit Activity Area at 11 a.m.
- Holy Communion is offered every first Sunday of the month during schedule services.
- We offer ecumenical morning prayers over the internal intercom system Monday through Thursday and at the bedside as requested.
- We offer a variety of support dealing with loss, crisis and grief counseling. We also provide on-call emergent spiritual care as needed. A member of the inter-disciplinary team participates in weekly Care Conferences. For more information on counseling sessions, or to schedule a meeting please contact the chaplain's office at 757-215-1085.
- Bible Trivia and Bible Study is offered Tuesday afternoons at 2 p.m. in the dining room.
Annual Memorial Service
An annual memorial service is conducted honoring all residents who have died in the past year. All family members, friends, and staff will receive invitations to participate in this service to honor departed loved ones. Please check the monthly activities calendar for more information.
- Offer on-going resident/family visits
- Assist residents with Advance Care Planning and Durable Do Not Resuscitate orders
- Provide on-call availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Collaborate with medical staff regarding resident care planning
- Respond to physician, staff, family, and clergy referrals for spiritual care
- Offer spiritual support for residents and families facing uncertainty regarding medical conditions and procedures
- Respond to ethical concerns and questions
- Help with Hospice care issues and concerns
- Provide spiritual care literature
- Address spiritual pain issues
Contacting a Chaplain
A chaplain may be reached by asking a staff member to page the chaplain on-call.
Mary Russell, BA, MAChaplain, Bon Secours Maryview Nursing Care Center
Education: BA, M. A; APC Certification (in process)
Affiliation: Church of God in Christ
Years serving Bon Secours: Since 2011
Contact: (757) 215–1085, Mary_Russell@bshsi.org