The Mission of Bon Secours Health System is to bring compassion to health care and to be Good Help to Those in Need®, especially those who are poor and dying.
As a System of caregivers, we commit ourselves to help bring people and communities to health and wholeness as part of the healing ministry of Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church.
History of Bon Secours
The Sisters of Bon Secours were founded in 1824 to respond to the needs of those who were sick and dying in Paris by providing health care to them in their homes. Through their care, they believed that they were bringing God’s healing, compassion and liberation to those in need by helping to alleviate their suffering and bringing a message of hope and assurance that there is a God who loves them.
The first three Sisters of Bon Secours arrived in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1881, and established their first hospital in 1919. By 1980, the Sisters had established or assumed responsibility for several Catholic hospitals, long-term care facilities, and other health care services. The Sisters formed Bon Secours Health System in 1983 to provide skilled, unified management and professional resources for all their health care operations while preserving their Catholic tradition of providing quality care to all, especially to those who are poor, sick and dying.
Since 1983, through acquisitions and joint ventures with other religious and non-sectarian organizations, the system has added facilities in several communities—Charleston and Greenville, South Carolina; Portsmouth, Richmond, Norfolk, and Newport News, Virginia; Suffern, Riverdale, Warwick, and Port Jervis, New York; Ashland, Kentucky; and St. Petersburg, Florida. In 2016, Bon Secours Health System became Bon Secours.
History of Bon Secours in Greenville
St. Francis Hospital was founded in Greenville in 1932, and is a private, not-for-profit health system.
1920s - 1950s
1921: Emma Booth Memorial Hospital built and entrusted to the Salvation Army.
1931: Dr. Charles Wyatt asks the Catholic Church to manage the hospital.
1932: The Franciscan Sisters of the Poor acquire the hospital for $55,000. Six thousand people attended the dedication on July 14, and the first patient admitted July 18.
1956: St. Francis is the first hospital in Greenville to have an ambulance. Received first accreditation by Joint Commission.
1960s - 1970s
1964: Sister Bernadine Kirchhoff came to Greenville with plans for a new hospital.
1968: Groundbreaking for the new St. Francis Hospital.
1971: New St. Francis Hospital opens December 3. It was one of the first all-private room hospitals in the Southeast.
1980s - 1990s
1983: Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Health System is incorporated.
1984: Expansion program adds a cardiac cath lab, CT scanner, and 72 new private rooms.
1990: St. Francis Women’s Hospital opens.
1991: St. Francis HomeCare is established.
1992: Inpatient Cancer Care Center opens in December.
1995: Sister Marilyn Trowbridge, RN, founds SC’s first Parish Nurse Program at St. Francis.
1997: St. Francis Women’s Hospital expands and is renamed St. Francis Women’s & Family Hospital.
1999: William L. Carpenter Heart Center opened.
2000: St. Francis Health System transferred sponsorship to Bon Secours Health System.
2000: Bone Marrow Transplant Unit opened.
2002: St. Francis Outpatient Center opened.
2004: Launched Columbia/Presbyterian affiliation with two new CV Surgeons.
2004: St. Francis Physician Services subsidiary created for employment/affiliation of physicians.
2005: St. Francis is first in Upstate with digital mammography.
2006: First CT 64-Slice in the Upstate South Carolina.
2007: Opened Southeast’s first Osteoporotic Fracture Center.
2007: New Cardiac Care Unit opened.
2008: St. Francis launched EPIC's ConnectCare, an electronic patient medical records system.
2008: St. Francis added daVinci robotic surgery technology.
2008: 3D Cardiac Ultrasound technology introduced.
2009: Added fourth Cardiac Catheterization Lab to St. Francis Downtown
2009: Launched the Surgical Weight Loss Program.
2009: Opened the St. Francis Community Garden.
2009: Began Bon Secours’ “Healthy Communities” Initiative in Sterling Community.
2011: Pearlie Harris Center for Breast Health opens.
2011: Received Center of Excellence for Minimally-Invasive Women's Surgery designation.
2011: Surgical Weight Loss Program named Center of Excellence.
2011: Bon Secours Medical Group introduces After Hours Care.
2012: Named one of Ten Safest Hospitals in the Nation by Consumer Reports.
2012: Two new Operating Rooms expand capacity, with one dedicated to robotic surgery.
2012: Added Bon Secours St. Francis Surgery Center on Patewood Drive
2012: Mobile Mammography Unit brings mammography into the community.
2013: Bon Secours Express Care opens in Downtown Greenville.
2014: St. Francis Cancer Center opens.
2015: Craig McCoy named CEO.
2015: Four AFC Urgent Care locations join Bon Secours.