Pulmonary Rehabilitation classes are held twice a week and include medically-managed exercise programs and education. Participants in the program generally attend one-hour classes twice a week for 12-18 weeks, depending on their individual progress.
The classes teach participants how to:
- Safely and comfortably increase their exercise tolerance
- Use the proper equipment and a pace their activity
- Manage shortness of breath that comes with activity with proper breathing techniques
- Avoid panic breathing
- Properly take medications and use home equipment
- Recognize, treat, and avoid respiratory infections and flare-ups
- Improve their diet to promote nutrition and strength
- Get more enjoyment out of leisure activities
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation team consists of highly qualified health professionals, including registered nurses, respiratory therapists, and exercise physiologists. The program is overseen by a physician Medical Director who monitors safety and prescribes appropriate exercise. The program also includes a dietitian who can help with weight loss, develop eating plans, and assist with other nutritional concerns.
Candidates for the Program
If you have been diagnosed with a respiratory illness but want to take an active role in managing your condition while boosting your strength and overall health, this program may be right for you. In general, participants have:
- Chronic Asthma
- Other Chronic Respiratory Illness
And are experiencing:
- Shortness of Breath
- Low Exercise Tolerance
How to Participate
A physicians referral is required to take part in the Pulmonary Rehab program, so ask your doctor for a referral to the program. Once we receive the referral, we will contact you to schedule a pre-program interview appointment.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is covered by most insurance companies including Medicare. Our staff is happy to verify insurance coverage and arrange for preauthorization of services, if necessary.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is located in Suite 200 of the St. Francis millennium Medical Office Building. Valet parking services are provided for your convenience. For more information or to arrange a tour of the facility, please call 864-400-3651.