The senior years in a person’s life are fun ones. They usually include retiring from a career, taking time to catch up on hobbies, and even spending time with grandchildren. However, to fully enjoy this season of life, it is important to stay healthy enough to do so.
These senior health tips will help you, or your loved one, stay golden during the golden years.
- Stay up to date on physical health: Testing for heart problems, colon cancer and similar conditions is critical as you age. The good news is most of these screenings should qualify for Medicare coverage. Keeping up with primary care doctor visits is key as well. Dental, vision and hearing checkups contribute to your overall physical health too.
- Eat right: It is always important to maintain a healthy weight. Digestive systems often slow down with age as well. Therefore, consider adding more fiber and probiotic-rich foods like whole grains, yogurts and apples to your diet.
- Get active: Another part of maintaining a healthy weight is staying active. There are many forms of low impact activities that will get your heart pumping. These include walking, swimming, riding a bike, and yoga. Before starting any physical activity, be sure to talk with your primary care doctor and find out what works best for you.
- Don’t forget about mental health: While it is important to stay physically healthy, it is also just as important to stay mentally healthy with age. Adding activities such as crossword puzzles, reading and writing into your daily routine will help stimulate your mind and keep it from declining.
- Spend time with your loved ones: As we age, it is very important to keep a sense of community in our lives. Spending time socializing is a great way to stay in touch with your family and friends. It also helps fight depression and keeps your mind sharp.
Learn more about the SeniorHealth program at Bon Secours; including services, activities and special events.