As a health care ministry, Bon Secours’ mission is to improve the overall health of our community. We believe that bringing inpatient care to Bon Secours Harbour View will help ensure that our ministry in Western Hampton Roads continues to be a vibrant one.
What We Are Proposing
- Bon Secours has filed an application with the Commonwealth of Virginia to obtain a Certificate of Public Need (COPN) to transfer 18 acute care beds and four operating rooms from Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center to establish a short stay surgically – focused hospital at Harbour View.
- The approximately 76,000 square- foot, two- story facility will be on the northeast corner of Bon Secours Drive and Harbour Towne Parkway.
- We remain committed to providing care to the greater Portsmouth community and will continue to operate comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services on the Bon Secours Maryview campus.
Why We Are Doing This
- We believe that this new hospital will help improve our patient’s access to inpatient care, improve their experience and allow our patients to receive inpatient surgical care locally, rather than at facilities outside the Bon Secours Maryview and Bon Secours Harbour View service areas.
- In addition, by relocating these resources the Harbour View campus, we will have the opportunity to ensure that Bon Secours Maryview’s ministry remains vibrant
- The next step will be a public hearing in the fall.
- We anticipate learning the health commissioner's decision late this year.
How You Can Help
This is exciting news for Bon Secours and we need your support in getting our COPN approved. Please support our cause by signing this online petition.
If you would like to write a letter of support for the new Bon Secours Harbour View Hospital, please reference our COPN project: COPN Req. No. VA-8389 Establish a New Hospital at Harbour View in Suffolk, VA. The letters can be sent to us via email or by mail:
Paul Gaden, CEO
Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center
3636 High Street
Portsmouth, VA 23707
Tips for writing a letter of support:
- Address the letter to Paul Gaden, CEO
- Introduce yourself and your role in the community
- Talk about your experience with Bon Secours and why you believe a hospital on Bon Secours Harbour View's campus is a benefit for the community
- Conclude your letter by stating that you support this project and you hope the State Health Commissioner approves Bon Secours Maryview's COPN request number VA-8389
- Sign and date your letter