Bon Secours is committed to cultivating health and wellness in our community. Through our work, we support important initiatives in our vulnerable communities to improve access to fresh, affordable food as well as help build essential food preparation skills and familiarity of healthy foods. Our goal is to engage children, adults and families in hands-on programs and education that offer opportunities to shape healthier futures.
Culinary Nutrition & Garden-based Programming
- Class-A-Roll, our mobile learning kitchen, provides a fun and interactive way to learn a skill that is the foundation of a healthy life – cooking! The Class-A-Roll travels into our communities and provides healthy cooking programs, recipe and food tastings, and nutrition education through hands-on cooking experiences.
- Growing Chefs is a garden-enhanced culinary program taught to upper elementary students. The program seeks to connect youth to their food so that they can understand how it impacts their minds and bodies. Growing Chefs guides students through the entire process of food – growing, harvesting, cooking and eating, transforming students’ responses toward healthy food, especially vegetables.
- Real Food, Real Simple is an adult cooking series aimed at teaching the fundamentals of cooking and basic nutrition using fresh, seasonal and minimally processed ingredients.
Nutrition Education Activities
- Care-A-Van & St. Joseph’s Outreach Clinic Nutrition Services: Medical Nutrition Therapy and diet-related chronic disease management for a variety of conditions including obesity, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and others.
- Finding My Weigh: An interactive and structured 12-week group weight management program that incorporates evidence-based strategies to create a healthier lifestyle.
Access to Healthy Food
- Bon Secours collaborates with many other local organizations and initiatives to improve access and availability of fresh, healthy and affordable food to food desert communities, with a focus on Richmond’s East End community. We do this through capacity building, support and education.
- Bon Secours Healing Gardens at Memorial Regional Medical Center and Richmond Community Hospital, with assistance from Tricycle Gardens and others, have cultivated a beautiful holistic healing and food-producing garden that supports our produce needs for Class-A-Roll programs as well as offers opportunities to connect community members, guests and employees to the space.