We are now fully accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). After a rigorous evaluation by independent clinical surveyors, we have demonstrated that we offer our patients with breast disease the full spectrum of interdisciplinary care. This ensures our patients have access to the most currently available forms of evaluation, treatment, and follow-up care.
The Breast Cancer Team at St. Francis Medical Center and the St. Francis Cancer Institute Streamlines Breast Care for Patients
There is a team in town dedicated solely to providing comprehensive education, prevention, detection, diagnosis, treatment and support for breast cancer patients. The physicians of the multidisciplinary team at St. Francis Medical Center are committed to world-class, compassionate care for every woman with a need.
Stringent guidelines have been set by the physicians on this team requiring that they meet or exceed expectations through diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care. Every step of the process is continually reviewed, and steps are implemented so each patient moves swiftly and with supreme dignity through the breast continuum of care.
The team has instilled several initiatives at St. Francis Medical Center and the Virginia Breast Center, such as standard evidence-based screening and treatment guidelines, streamlining the pathway to a more timely diagnosis, ensuring access to dedicated radiologists, and developing community education and continuing medical education. Emphasis is placed on the latest in breast cancer screening, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care. The physicians have made the commitment to offer all “positive” St. Francis breast biopsy patients a team review of their case in which pathologists, radiologists, breast surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists collectively recommend the optimal treatment plan. An oncology nurse navigator befriends and guides each patient through her treatment and experience so she is never is alone.
State-of-the-art technology and comprehensive services are available to all breast patients at St. Francis Medical Center, St. Francis Cancer Institute and the Virginia Breast Center, including:
- State-of-the-art digital mammography
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Bone density scans
- Genetic screening and testing
- Breast cancer surgery and reconstruction
- Total and partial breast irradiation, including MammoSite
- Lymphedema care
- Oncology nurse navigator
- Palliative care
- Pet therapy
- Hospice care
- Reflections wellness boutique
- Cancer patient resource center
- Cancer rehabilitation services
- Support groups (monthly)
- Massage therapy
The St. Francis Breast Team consists of the following members:
- Dr. James Pellicane, Chairman, Breast Surgeon
- Dr. Polly Stephens, Breast Surgeon
- Dr. LaSandra Jackson, General Surgeon
- Dr. Taryn Torre, Radiation Oncologist
- Dr. Jo Anne Walker, Radiation Oncologist
- Dr. Mark Vaughn, Radiologist
- Dr. Mark Williams, Pathologist
- Dr. Neil Zemmel, Plastic Surgeon
- Sherry Fox, PhD, RN, CNRN, Vice President, Oncology
- Janet Cole, RN, BSN, OCN, CBCN, Oncology Program Coordinator
- Teresa Crist, RTT, CMD, Bon Secours Richmond Radiation Oncology Director
- Sara Rakestraw, LISW, OSW-C
- Dr. William Irvin Jr., Medical Oncologist
- Dr. Ryan Raddin, Medical Oncologist
To learn more about the Cancer Institute at St. Francis and the Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary team, please contact (804) 353-HOPE (4673).