About St. Francis Medical CenterBuilt in 2005, St. Francis Medical Center is the first new hospital to be built south of the James River in 20 years. It is a 130-bed hospital that also includes a child care building that can accommodate 120 children, a family practice center and the Bon Secours Cancer Institute.
About VolunteeringVolunteering at Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center is filled with camaraderie, fellowship and the satisfaction of making a difference in the lives of others. As a volunteer, you become an integral part of the health care team at St. Francis and play a key role in providing comfort and care to patients and their families.St. Francis has a few different locations available for volunteer opportunities. Once you decide where you would like to give your time, the location where you work will always be the same.
Our volunteer program is designed to give you the opportunity to make a difference in your community. We ask volunteers to make a commitment of one year, working a minimum of two 4 hour shifts a month to help our staff and patients. We also request that applicants be at least 15 years of age or older.
Our needs change from time to time. Some of our positions have after school, weekend and evening hours as denoted by the asterisk.
- Cancer Institute Information Desk
- Emergency Department Hospitality Associate*
- Eucharistic Ministers*
- General Services (patient discharges, deliveries, etc.)
- Gift Shop Sales Associates*
- Main Information Desk Concierge*
- Medical Building Concierge
- Patient Access Concierge*
- Patient Response* (answers call bells)
- Radiation Oncology Office Assistant
- Surgery Department Assistant (Ambulatory Surgery & Main OR)
- Surgery Waiting Concierge
- Unit Assistant*
- Watkins Centre Imaging Center Concierge
- Spiritual Care
* Evening/Weekend opportunities
How to Become a Volunteer
We are excited about your interest in volunteering and hope to make the process as simple as possible.
- Complete and submit the online application here.
- Bon Secours Richmond completes the reference check.
- The volunteer completes TB testing and obtains an ID badge while Bon Secours Richmond conducts a background check.
- The volunteer receives staff training and a schedule.
- Must be 15 or older to volunteer.
- Weekend and evening hours available.
- 1 year commitment of two four-hour shifts per month.
- High school students wishing to start volunteering during the summer must apply NO LATER THAN May 15th, 2015 (however students are welcome to apply to start in the fall after this date).
Summer College Internship
St. Francis medical Center will offer an unpaid Summer College internship program during the summer months of 2015. Students are required to work flexible hours and complete a minimum of 120 hours over a 9 week period. This is a selective program which provides an opportunity for college level students to receive hands on experience working in a health care environment. To receive an application, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for Intern applications is April 10, 2015.