The warning signs are numerous, but the newest treatments can keep a heart beating normally.
- Follow the USDA MyPlate guidelines: first fill half your plate with fruits & vegetables then complete the meal with whole grains & lean proteins.
- Keep within your daily calorie needs.
- Read labels to limit the amount of saturated fat, sugar and sodium you eat.
- Increase fiber by planning meals that include vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans.
- Instead of frying foods, bake, broil, grill or sauté food with small amounts of healthy plant oils such as olive oil or avocado oil rather than solid fats like butter, margarine or bacon fat.
- Focus on portion control and healthful food choices for weight control rather than unbalanced fad diets that promise quick fixes.
Schedule an appointment with a Bon Secours Registered Dietitian for individualized education and meal planning based on your unique needs.
- Stop smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke
- Drink alcohol only in moderation
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce both internal and external stress
Bon Secours Cardiac Nutrition Consultation
- Included as part of our comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program
- Available to the community by appointment (self-pay or covered benefit by insurance)
Bon Secours Cardiac Wellness Center
7001 Forest Avenue, Suite 101
Richmond, VA 23230
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation at Memorial Regional Medical Center
8260 Atlee Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23116
Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center Cardiac Rehab
13700 St. Francis Boulevard, Suite 105
Midlothian, VA 23114